Thursday, February 9, 2012

Jambo

4 weeks in! Time has flown by so far, I still feel like I've only just arrived.

Last week at Amani we had visitors from Canada, they raised $80,300! So school stopped for the day and we had a big party. The kids put on a gymnastics show and then a jump rope show, then we had a big cake and soda. It was crazy but fun, and I've got a ton of pictures!

We did percussion in music club last week, it was slightly overwhelming but the kids enjoyed it. I've actually never taught music before, so I'm just finding my way, the language barrier makes it a bit difficult. This week we did recorders. Yesterday was rough, I had the starters (kids who have just arrived off the street) and they are really difficult to control. Today I changed my approach a bit and it was great! The kids were good, they learned a lot, and are excited to learn more notes. I think I might do recorder again next week just because they really want to know more notes. In my second class today only one out of four kids showed up, so he got a private lesson, he was really good at it! This morning I actually lost my iPod on a dalla dalla, it might have been pick pocketed, but I think I just dropped it. So I was in a bad mood all day, but the kids changed that, class was great.

I am loving it here in Moshi town. I love the culture, I can't really describe why though. I feel like I fit in more here than I do in America. That doesn't really make sense though, since I stick out like a sore thumb. The hostel is great, it's nice having all these people to come home to, the lack of privacy actually isn't bothering me at all.


This is Kelvin on the left, one of the boys who came back with us from Arusha. And Jifti on the right, he gave me a mask on my first day, he's very sweet and smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment