Saturday, March 3, 2012

You should probably sniff it first.

The 10th annual Kilimanjaro marathon was last Sunday! Myself and some other girls from the hostel did the 5k fun run. I did a lot of walking, but actually more running than I expected. It was actually a lot of fun. I’m pretty sure a Kenyan won the marathon; also I found it really funny when they announced the first white person to finish.

It was nice going back to Amani on Monday, I missed the kids after only a week! Wednesday was a hard day. The starters class is always a challenge (starters are kids who have just arrived off the streets and still need to be assessed to see which class they should join, and kids who are too far behind to join a normal class). My lesson was just completely over their heads. Thursday was great though! I changed things around and it worked out well. A singing warm-up (syllables ex b p m ss) spontaneously turned into a beat boxing lesson, it was hilarious! Then we learned row row row your boat. It’s hard to tell what will work for these kids, that song would not go over well at all with middle school kids at home. But it is completely new to these kids, and in English, so they all loved it. At the end I said “OK, who thinks they can sing it all by themselves?” and nearly all of them came up to the front of the class and sang it one at a time, very proud of themselves. At one point I had one kid beat boxing while the others sang row row row your boat, that was so funny!

_______________________________________________________________________
I started Swahili lessons Friday! So here is some more Swahili for your thoughts:
Jina lako nani?   -   What is your name?
Jina langu ______.   -   My name is ______.

Unatoka wapi?  -   Where do you come from?
Ninatoka Marekani.   -   I come from America.

Unaishi wapi?   -   Where do you stay?
Ninaishi Moshi.   -   I stay in Moshi.

Wewe ni nani?   -   What are you? (What do you do?)
Mimi ni mwalimu.   -   I am a teacher. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Valentina, I just read your interview from your mom's facebook entry and I see that you're writing a blog about your experience. I shall check in to see how you are doing. You are certainly adventurous.

    BTW, I graduated with your mom from SHS.

    I hope this is the adventure of a lifetime for you!

    ReplyDelete