Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Fedha. Pesa. Geld. Dinero...Money

Before I accepted this volunteer opportunity, I was told the cost of living (including rent, transportation, going out etc.) was only $250/month, so about $1500 for the whole time, I can do that. I am still being told that figure, at the same time as being given links of places to stay that cost minimum $450 a month, $3000 just for rent. I can't do that. I found a slightly cheaper hostel, I think, but every website has a different price for it. And there are no apartments for rent in Moshi.
There is just no way to figure this out online. It looks like I'm going there, Amani will put me up for a bit, and I'll have to wing it. While I do enjoy a certain degree of uncertainty when I travel, I don't enjoy it when every single aspect of my life is up in the air.
Yes, the reason I'm going to Moshi is for Amani. The reason is to volunteer and make a difference. But, I'm going to be in Africa. How can I live there and not experience, Africa? I want to go on Safari, I want to climb Kili, I want to see lions and zebras and elephants and giraffes. I want to see the Serengeti, the Ngorongoro crater, and Lake Manyara. I would like to travel to Zanzibar at some point. I would love to take an extended trip to Victoria Falls after my volunteering is over.
I will never get this chance again. There is no "you could go back someday." Any adult will tell you "someday" turns into never.
I have $3000 saved, with visa fees and rent, that's gone. I already owe $1200 on my credit card, and I haven't even booked a flight home.
Yes, of course I'm going, and I have enough to survive while I'm there, but I'm not sure that I have enough to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment