Thursday, January 19, 2012

First week in Africa, and first days at Amani!


This was my first week at Amani! As internet costs a lot, I’m going to write ahead of time in word and then post it in chunks.

I love Moshi town so far. It has been like a vacation up until today. It’s warm, the people are friendly and the culture is relaxed. I really feel right at home, despite the lack of running water, random power outages, dirt-covered feet, and lizards in my bedroom. But I’ve come to learn that Amani is a full time job. Up at 6:30am, walk down the road to catch the Amani dalla-dalla, there until 4pm, pay for a dalla-dalla back to the hostel.


Monday- My first day!
I have a two week orientation, so I don’t actually start teaching until the 30th. Today started with a department meeting conducted in Swahili. I made a fool of introducing myself, I didn’t really know what to say since they all already knew about me. Then I nearly nodded off, since it’s hard to pay attention when you understand a total of 5 words in a 2.5hr meeting. The staff eats lunch with the kids, today it was rice, and an entire cow. Every part included.

Later I observed the art class (the teacher stays at the same hostel as myself). It was chaotic. The kids were all hyper from lunch and were just out of control. She had to attempt to get the correct children for the class, line them up, and get them in the classroom while holding off other kids who weren’t supposed to be there. Then she had to lock the door or they would all run in and out. They knocked and yelled outside the door for the entire class. After class she had to go out into the yard and hunt down the kids who were supposed to be in the next class, which was equally chaotic.

But with all the mayhem, they were still adorable. They made animal masks, I observed two classes and one boy in each class gave me their masks. They are all curious to talk to you and introduce themselves. It’s hard because some don’t speak any English, and most are very limited. They’re very touchy, very eager to hold your hand.  A couple of them speak English very well, so we made a deal, I’ll teach them music if they teach me Swahili!


Tuesday
I started the morning helping the cook. First I prepared the spinach, with the help of a girl who didn’t speak any English, maybe 12 years old, and an adorable 5 year old, I think called Basi. There are two little ones, their older siblings attend Amani, but they are too young so they just kind of hang out there and wander. One boy and one girl, both adorable. It was nice and calm and quiet sitting with them preparing spinach and then peeling garlic (I might still smell like garlic). Myself and a visitor also washed all of the dishes.

After tea time I talked with nurse Rovina, who has been at Amani for nearly ten years. Pretty much a school nurse deal, except she brings the children to the hospital when necessary, and has to bring two of them to the hospital every month for HIV medication. Next I had some time set aside to read Amani volunteer handouts, lots of reading!

Lunch was ugali, it has the consistency of mashed potatoes, and you eat it with beans and spinach. It was interesting, filling, and something you have to experience, but I can’t exactly say that I liked it.  After lunch I was back in the art room while waiting to meet with the director, who never had time to see me. The kids were pretty hyper today, and at one point a fight broke out in class. It was a tough class.

You can’t tell how old the kids are. Many have been malnourished, so they are small, and they have all grown up on the streets, so that act younger than their age. There is one boy who is 16 but he looks maybe 10. I have been warned that he can be violent and not to let him touch me, but he has been very well behaved so far.

I forgot to bring a bathing suit! Everyone went to the pool the other day and I couldn’t swim. I don’t have short shorts either because I was told to bring modest clothing. I went to the new “western” grocery store today because I heard there were bathing suits there, but they were too expensive. I’m going to stop by Mary’s tomorrow to have some shorts made. A bunch of girls from the hostel are going to the hot springs this weekend so I’d like to join.


Wednesday
Most of Wednesday was meeting with different people and talking about the reunification process and other things. In the afternoon I observed a class, but it was all in Swahili so it wasn’t all that interesting.


Thursday
This morning I presented my ideas for the music club to the education coordinator, it’s beginning to take shape. It looks like my class will be at 4pm, and maybe a second class at 5pm, depending on how many kids can sign up for the class. I’d rather be done at 5, since it would be harder to get back home at 6. Then I met with someone to learn about the action learning cycle. Now I am back at Hostel Hoff, I’ll go back to Amani at 4 to see what the night caregivers do.


This is Peanut, he lives at Hostel Hoff :)

1 comment:

  1. 'Just getting caught up... I am so proud of you! W.O.W.
    xoxoxo
    Krissy

    ReplyDelete