Friday, January 13, 2012

This is Africa

All settled in Moshi town! I'm sitting out on the patio in the heat, with a dog stretched out by my feet. I had a mango from the tree out front for lunch today, there's also a banana tree. The whole town is without water, I bathed in a bucket last night. It's so hot here though that you really need to bathe every day, I guess that's not going to happen.

My baggage all made it here fine, I was a bit worried about that. No one was there to meet me at the airport, and it was a bit stressful, but there were a lot of taxi drivers there who took care of me, one of them used his phone to call Salma, got no answer for quite awhile, but eventually she did, and the driver arranged everything for me! People are very nice here, there was only one rude man there who tried to get me to pay him to use his phone, and when I said I had no money he laughed and said "so what are you going to do?" and was kind of an jerk.

I got a brief tour of town this morning, got a sim card, but didn't put any money on it! That was stupid, and you have to wait ages to top up. I will have to try to find the place again later....I did wander into town on my own today! I was hesitant, but I gave in and did it, and it's so small that you can just wander around and not get lost.

Hostel Hoff is pretty nice, they have some tents in the back that I might try to get a bed in if one clears up. There are all kinds of people here doing different volunteer jobs and staying for different amounts of time. They all seem to be here to travel though, talking about all the places they're going, and going out to drink etc. I don't have the money to do any of that, so it's a bit strange. I wasn't expecting that type of environment. I think I'm headed to the shop with some people, so I'll update again later.

Oh, and regarding the title...when something doesn't work, ex. no water, no internet, people just say "This is Africa", it's kind of like eh, it happens, what can you do? No worries.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tina,

    You're there! Found an old email with a link to the blog.

    As for all those transient people, we used to call them WTs, for World Travelers. It wasn't a compliment, more of a reference to how they saw themselves. Some towns attract them more than others, sort of ghosts on the move and a bit removed as well. They'll recede into the background once you get working and have your own local contacts.

    Just breathe deeply, take photos, write, enjoy -- because "it is Africa". There really isn't any place like it.

    Peace,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete