Wednesday, November 11, 2009

pub?

On the train back to London I said without thinking that I was not going to go out or eat out all week to make up for all the money spent and calories consumed this past week, I was just fooling around, but, why not? So, that's what I'm doing, and it's a heck of a lot easier said than done. So far I've turned down pub, pub, movies, and pub, and it's only Wednesday! But, I also haven't gone to the convenience store across the street, or Amir's (the fast food place open almost 24/7), which are both basically right outside my front door. I haven't really saved that much money, but countless calories most definitely. The other point to not going out was to get some work done, since I didn't do any during reading week. I wrote an essay, which it turns out I didn't even have to do, and I did a bit of reading for Anthropology, otherwise I haven't accomplished that much. Travelling is tiring though, it took me awhile to recover. I have this insane assignment for romanticism & musical structures, I don't understand theory at all, I don't even know where to begin. Theory just completely blows my mind, for some reason I just can't comprehend it, add to the fact that I think this level of study is completely stupid and utterly useless and should not by any means be required, and I see no feasable argument as to why it should be studied, there's just no reason for it unless it's something you choose to do. The assignment isn't due until January 13th, but I don't want to have it hanging over me for my whole winter break trip (I say that now, but I know myself, I'll finish it January 12th).
We have a new coach in basketball, he's pretty intense, I think I'll be in pretty good shape once he's done with me. At one point during practice I just wanted to quit and get my money back because it's not fun at all. But we finally got to actually play at the end of practice and I forgot all about hating it. I made at least one basket during the game, so that was nice. I think we'll really benefit from this coach, doing layups for a half an hour may be boring, but it's neccessary, and he had some drills for getting everyone comfortable with the ball that I liked. Some other drills that I found completely useless. We had shoot offs where we were put into two teams and the losing team had to do suicides, I was in the winning team every time. We still had to do star jumps, but I'd choose that over suicides any day.
I had my second lesson today, it went well, but there's SO much I need to do. I've always known I needed to do it, but never really buckled down, or had anyone explain it to me for that matter. It's hard to buckle down when I only get 4 lessons each semester, but I'm going to try, I need to do it if I ever want to go anywhere with my playing.
Busy day tomorrow, Introduction to Social Anthropology 10-11, seminar 11-12, windband 2:30-4, Orchestration 4:30-6 (it's usually Friday but was changed). Probably dinner when I get back, then go practice, then do some reading then bed!
Oh, so my last day in Scotland (Sunday) I got up early to find the graves of characters from Harry Potter (that inspired the characters names anyway), and my cell phone mysteriously shut off and changed the date while I was in the graveyard, and it's shut itself off twice since then, full battery, I'm haunted!

No comments:

Post a Comment